Thai Yoga Massage – The Breath of Life
Thai massage is a system of massage and assisted stretching developed in Thailand over 2000 years ago, and influenced by the traditional medicine systems of India, China, and Southeast Asia.
In this unique healing system the practitioner guides the client through a series of yoga postures, while palming and thumbing along the body’s energy (‘Sen’) lines and pressure points. Together these actions result in a comprehensive full body treatment that relieves muscular tension improves circulation, boosts the immune system and balances the body energetically.
Thai Yoga Massage is performed on a mat on the floor (but can easily be adapted for a massage table) ; both client and practitioner are dressed in comfortable clothing allowing ease of movement and flexibility. This type of massage puts a big emphasis on slow deep breathing which facilitates certain postures and allows for deeper stretching, this is ideal for those looking to calm the Body and mind. It’s also a great modality to receive for any demographic, from the office warrior or athlete, young or old. Thai massage can be adapted to your mobility needs.
Come visit one of our Aliyah Thai Massage therapists and let your tensions melt away as you become reacquainted with your body.Read More
That lingering pain in a knee, hip, elbow or wrist could be a sign of osteoarthritis, also known as degenerative joint disease.
Osteoarthritis will affect many people in the course of their lives.
Aliyah Massage Therapy Helps Relieve Osteoarthritis Pain
Several published studies have indicated that massage therapy helps relieve osteoarthritis pain.
1. Better posture. Massage Therapy to realign posture will reduce unequal weight distribution throughout the body, which the joints usually receive with unhealthy posture. Joints properly stacked vis-à-vis each other will witness a healthy distribution of body weight and ground reactive force. This will reduce the weight burden load upon each joint.
2. Joint flexibility. Friction strokes will positively impact joint structures by aiding in the removal of collagenous tissue bound within joint structures. Collagen settles in areas of injury to patch these sites. These patchwork scars contribute to the lack of mobility and stiffness felt by people with osteoarthritis. Proper range of motion can be restored with massage therapy techniques.
3. Pain management. Regular Massage Therapy reduces pain by directly impacting nerves. Because joint structures have many nerve endings located within and around the local regions, osteoarthritis pain can be managed greatly with massage therapy.
4. Decreased swelling. Lymphatic Drainage incorporated within the massage treatment to push extracellular fluid proximally upon a limb can greatly reduce swelling of an affected joint structure. This benefit augments the prior benefits mentioned and may expedite the body’s healing processes.
5. Movement re-education. As the massage client begins to experience proper joint mobility, the nervous system will begin re-educating itself via proprioceptive activity. Efficient movement patterns can be restored compared to pre-osteoarthritis patterns.
These benefits of massage therapy will greatly aid the osteoarthritic patient and slow the progression of this condition. Information presented is never intended to replace advice from a medical professional.
More facts about osteoarthritis
- Osteoarthritis is the most common form of arthritis. This condition is typically non-inflammatory and usually affects weight-bearing joints such as the hands, knees, hips and spine. This condition breaks down the articular (hyaline) cartilage at the ends of bones.
- Healthy cartilage acts as a substance to allow bones to glide against each other smoothly in pain-free motion. This cartilage appears pink and smooth on cadavers, however it appears chipped away and rough where arthritis has presented. When this cartilage wears away, bone surfaces will grind against each other with movement, thereby causing intense pain, swelling and reduced motion in joints. Other signs and symptoms include the development of bone spurs, point tenderness and stiffness of affected joints.
- Osteoarthritis is a progressive disease, meaning it gradually worsens over time. Risk factors to consider with the progression of this condition include prior joint injury, body weight, occupational and recreational demands, genetics, bone malformations and concurrent diseases.
Aliyah Massage Therapists are armed to help ease your pain and stiffness as you navigate through the circulation of life.
Reasons to Get an Aliyah Massage in October
A growing body of research supports massage therapy for health and wellness. October is the perfect time to take advantage of the many health benefits of massage therapy including decreasing pain and swelling associated with overuse or traumatic body injuries and increasing the ranges of motion in your joints.
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Research has shown that massage therapy can reduce pain, stress, nausea, depression, distress, anxiety and fatigue, while improving health related quality of life for cancer patients.
Destress Before the Holidays
Has preparing for the back to school routine and the impending holiday season left you feeling more stressed than normal? Aliyah Massage therapy is a proven stress reliever.
Take Advantage of your Insurance Plans before the year ends.
Aliyah Massage Therapy Centre can provide insurance receipts for both Massage Therapy and Naturopathy.
We look forward to treating you soon.
The Single Most Powerful Benefit of Massage Therapy
Over the years, massage therapy has gained considerable credibility for the health benefits it can provide.
For example, massage increases your circulation, helps to remove toxins from the body and can also increase your energy levels, rehabilitate musculoskeletal imbalances, decrease restrictive tissue adhesions and scar tissue, among many other positive effects.
However there is one primary benefit that trumps all the rest…
“Massage Therapy relaxes you!”
While this fact may not be novel to you, what is important to understand is that when we are not ‘relaxed’ which for many people is most of the time, we are in fact ‘tense’. When we feel tension in our bodies, it is because we have experienced or are experiencing some form of stress either on a physical, mental or emotional level, or all of the above.
If left untreated, stress can become a catalyst for serious illness. Thus, is vital that tension (on all levels) be alleviated as quickly as possible, allowing a return to a healthy, relaxed and ‘stress-free’ state of being.
Many people are aware that massage therapy is effective in alleviating tension and stress in the ‘physical’ body, but in truth, the effects on quieting the mind and calming the emotions are also equally profound. This is because all levels of the person (physical, mental, emotional and spiritual) are interconnected and therefore affected positively by the massage treatment.
In these busy times, it seems that ‘stress’ is a part of everyday life. So now more than ever we need to be pro-active in ‘managing’ our stress levels through a balanced lifestyle, i.e. healthy diet, regular exercise and, of course, regular therapeutic massage treatments.
“Could you use a little more ‘balance’ in your life?”
Come for a treatment at the Aliyah Massage Therapy Centre. The world standard in massage therapy rehabilitation.Read More